The Leaders of Color Fellowship (LOC) is a different kind of leadership program. While we’ve borrowed best practices and ideas from some of the most innovative leadership programs across the country, LOC was born here in Washtenaw and was co-created with some of the same people we hope to serve. In LOC, we’re bringing together a diverse cohort of people of color, dedicated to advancing racial equity, to champion change in the county. By the end of the fellowship, we hope to:
- Build tighter bonds between leaders of color in Washtenaw
- Increase representation of people of color in leadership positions in across the county
- Launch Fellow-led projects that actively advance racial equity in the county
We plan to make that happen by:
- Building up the skills that support leaders of color in becoming better champions for social justice
- Leaning on the knowledge and expertise our Fellows bring to the cohort
- Emboldening leaders of color as changemakers by offering culturally relevant content and resources
Understanding that the change we want can’t be carried on our backs alone, Leaders of Color Fellows will also connect with colleagues in the Allies Academy – the other arm of NEW’s Champions for Change program – as a core part of their curriculum. In addition, Leaders of Color Fellows will have several opportunities to engage with the broader community around racial justice, allowing participants in both cohorts to support each other and build a robust and diverse network of equity leaders.
Applications for the 2020-2021 Leaders of Color fellowship will open in mid-July. Please sign-up for our mailing list to stay informed about the launching of the next cohort. Thanks for your interest.
Class / Economic Situation
Experience (new leader vs. established leader)
Gender (identity and expression included)
Work – sector and industry
Please check back in mid-July 2020 for an up-to-date schedule of programming.